by Steph Creaturo
As much as I default back to Old Faithful for my juice, I go to crazy town with my smoothies. I wasn’t a smoothie girl until recently. The convergence of buying a Vitamix and my husband wanting smoothies for breakfast unleashed my inner smoothie freak.
On Saturday mornings, the cupboards are pretty bare bones in my house. We tend to shop Saturday through Monday afternoons, so Saturday smoothies are for using what’s around.
Note: I don’t really measure. I just eyeball everything as I toss it into the Vitamix with water and a bit of ice.
– 2 bananas
– 1 big handful of kale
– 1 cup of homemade almond milk
– 2 ounces of cranberry juice (the real stuff, not the sweetened kind)
– 1 tablespoon of molasses
– 1 pinch of shredded coconut
– 2 tablespoons of Vega Antioxidant Omega Oil Blend
– 1 palmful of Hemp Hearts
– 1 palmful of gogi berries
– 1 scoop of protein powder. Spirutien is my usual choice, but I ran out and grabbed the Trader Joe’s Hemp Power when I was in there. It’s okay, but I don’t love how grainy it is.
The real boost comes from Vega Antioxidant Omega Oil Blend (omegas from plant sources), Hemp Hearts (a complete protein with omega 3 and 6, in addition to fiber and several vitamins), and gogi berries (antioxidants and vitamin A). I’ve noticed stronger nails and hair, as well as less acne breakouts since adding this powerhouse trio to my smoothies about two months ago. It is a bit tart, thanks to the gogi berries and cranberry juice, so if you have a bit of a sweet tooth you’ve been forewarned!
Now, a smoothie does not a breakfast make. I’m hungry ALL THE TIME. The smoothie was rounded out by a big bowl of red lentil granola with a blend of almond milk and a plain kefir.
What’s in your smoothie today? Let me know in the comments!